"Slammed" by Colleen Hoover

Eighteen-year-old Layken has been through the toughest time of her life.  After the sudden passing of her father, she’s had to move across the country with her mother and nine-year-old brother.  She’s not happy to be in a new town where she knows no one, but she knows that she has to be the rock for her family.  She’s just not sure how she’ll hold it all together.

Then she meets Will Cooper, her 21-year-old neighbour who is cute, intriguing, and more than interested in her.  They can’t fight the connection they immediately make and after Will introduces her to the world of slam poetry, Layken begins to think that the move may not be so bad.

Until they make a discovery that quickly puts an end to their relationship.  But they still have to see each other on a daily basis which both Layken and Will find difficult to do.  And when Layken receives devastating news, it becomes almost impossible to stay away from each other.

Slammed is the first book in a young adult series by Colleen Hoover.  Romantic, heart-breaking, and poetic, this is an incredible book that moved me to tears.

I picked up this book based on the recommendation of a total stranger who had nothing but good things to say about Colleen Hoover’s work, of which I have read none.  She suggested that I start with this one and I’m so glad that I did.  The best way to describe this book is a roller coaster of emotions.

There is just so much to this book.  Both Layken and Will have dealt with a lot of turmoil and heartbreak in their short lives but yet there is so much hope.  Their relationship develops so easily and as a reader you are thrilled to see it happen this way.  But the fact that they can’t be together, after already experiencing so much heart-ache, absolutely pulls on your heart-strings.  

The use of slam poetry in the book is incredible.  Will is a participant and he introduces Layken and her friends to the genre.  I really enjoyed the use of the poetry throughout the book, it is a poignant way to express your emotions and so fitting with this story.  

So yes, I will admit that I cried during this book.  In fact, I didn’t read the book on transit or at work because I knew that at any moment it would have me crying and no one needed to see that.  I am one of those people who is quick to cry but this wasn’t just a little bit of tears, it was full out running down my face.  This may be a young adult novel but I believe that it will move people of all ages. 


So, to the stranger who recommended this book to me, I hope that we meet again so I can gush over this book to you as much as you when we met. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop