2015 Giller Prize

The longlist for the 2015 Scotiabank Giller Prize was announced today.  The Giller is one of Canada's most prestigious literary prizes and is awarded to the best novel or short story collection published in English.  Last year's winner was Sean Michaels for Us Conductors.  Past winners include Esi Edugyan, Joseph Boyden, Alice Munro, M.G. Vassanji, Margaret Atwood,  Mordecai Richler, Austin Clarke, and Rohinton Mistry.

The shortlist will be announced on October 5 and the winner will be announced on November 10.  This year's jury consists of Cecil Foster, Alison Pick, Helen Oyeyemi, Alexander MacLeod, and John Boyne.

Here is the longlist for this year's prize:

Fifteen Dogs - Andre Alexis
Arvida - Samuel Archibald
If I Fall If I Die - Michael Christie
Outline - Rachel Cusk
UnderMajorDomoMinor - Patrick DeWitt
Close to Hugh - Marina Endicott
A Beauty - Connie Gault
All True Not a Lie in It - Alix Hawley
The Winter Family - Clifford Jackman
Daydreams of Angels - Heather O’Neill
Martin John - Anakana Schofield
Confidence - Russell Smith

So far I have only read two of the novels on the list - Fifteen Dogs and A Beauty.  I definitely thought Fifteen Dogs should be nominated for awards this season so I'm very happy to see it there.  Over the next two months, I plan to read all of these books as I already either own or have a library hold on all of the books.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to start reading!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop