Classics Club Spin


Back in September I signed up to join The Classics Club.  This involves reading 50 pre-chosen by me Classic books in the next five years.  So far, I'm doing well, I've already read five.  And now it's time to check another one off the list.

It is time for the Classics Spin.  I choose 20 books from my list and on Monday, February 18, the great people at the Club will post a number between 1 and 20.  I then read whichever book on my list falls under that number by the end of March.  Sounds easy right?  Guess it depends on which book it lands on.   The challenge is to choose books from specific categories.  So here's my Spin List.

Five books I am dreading/hesitant to read
1. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
2. Candide - Voltaire
3. Pamela - Samuel Robertson
4. Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer
5. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

Five books I can't wait to read
6. White Teeth - Zadie Smith
7. Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe
8. The Time Machine - H.G. Wells
9. The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
10. Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

Five books I am neutral about
11. Beloved - Toni Morrison
12. The House of the Spirits - Isabel Allende
13. 2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke
14. Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
15. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie

Five free choice books
16. The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood
17. Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood
18. The Robber Bride - Margaret Atwood
19. Cat's Eye - Margaret Atwood
20. Surfacing - Margaret Atwood

Comments

  1. Ha! You have one on your "can't wait to read" that's on my "dreading" list! :) Can we swap? P.S. You should move Beloved up--it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I should be excited about Beloved but I think I'm not just because I know I'll get to it. I love how we all feel so differently about books in terms of loving/dreading.

      Delete
  2. I've read some of them: Isabel Allende is great, when you read only 1 to 3 books by her; then you feel you are reading the same again and again, but this book you have in the list is really good.
    I've read Wuthering Heights too and I thought that it is not a romance novel, is a novela about hate and suffer and suffering :(
    Les Miserables: a great story, but the book is full of political thoughts of the author and has a lot of parts that are not really "the story". These parts makes the book too long and the reading too slow, in my opinion :)
    About Cat's eye, I didn't know it is a classic!!! :)

    Good luck with the spin thing, and tell us what number are you reading, please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The length of Les Mis is the reason why I'm dreading it.
      The Margaret Atwood books are included because they're all on the 1001 Books to Read list. That's where my Classics Club list comes from.
      Thanks for letting me know about Isabel Allende and Wuthering Heights!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop