Waiting On Wednesday

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine, for book bloggers to share which upcoming releases they are eagerly anticipating. Here is my pick this week:

Alone in the Classroom by Elizabeth Hay
Release Date: 26 April 2011

In 1930, a school principal in Saskatchewan is suspected of abusing a student. Seven years later, on the other side of the country, a girl picking wild cherries meets a violent end. These are only two of the mysteries in the life of the narrator's charismatic aunt, Connie Flood.
As the narrator Anne pieces together her aunt's lifelong attachment to her former student Michael Graves, and her obsession with Parley Burns, the inscrutable principal implicated in the assault of Michael's younger sister. Her own story becomes connected with that of the past, and the triangle of principal, teacher, student opens out into other emotional triangles - aunt, niece, love, mother, daughter, granddaughter - until a sudden, capsizing love changes Anne's life.

I picked up Elizabeth Hay's Giller Prize winning book Late Nights on Air in my attempt to read more Canadian literature and I really enjoyed the book. She is a wonderful writer and I'm really looking forward to this one, I'm sure the mystery will draw me in!


Comments

  1. I have never heard of this author before; have not read much Canadian fiction in general I guess. This one definitely sounds like a novel that would draw the reader in right away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds fascinating! I just started paying attention to the Giller Prize, and this author is new to me. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled and decide which of her novels to read first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one until now but it sounds really good!

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Guestbook" by Holly Martin

"Dreaming of Elsewhere: Observations on Home" by Esi Edugyan

Literary Giveaway Blog Hop